Borsch (Beetroot Soup)
Adapted from the BBC and the Cooks Companion.
- 3 medium beetroots
- 1 large carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- A large handful of parsley, stalks included
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Rock salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Peel/chop the vegetables, garlic and parsley.
- Place in a pot with the bay leaf and just cover with water (or use stock for extra flavour!).
- Cover and bring to the boil - simmer for an hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, puree soup, then return to pot and reheat gently.
- Toast seeds in a skillet until fragrant, and add to soup (crush with a mortar and pestle if you want).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.